Friday 19 June 2009

A different perspective on vegetarianism.

Şencan is a vegetarian (actually, at the moment, temporarily a pescetarian). Whilst I love nothing more than a Sunday roast dripping in gravy, our difference in food requirements scarcely causes us any problems. For instance, this evening I have prepared a salad, and I may have a few slice of ham with it, whilst Şencan may have something quorn-based. We even cook Sunday roasts - I have a pork or beef joint, whilst Şencan has some meat-substitute. Everything else is cooked as vegetarian. You know what? It works really well; the only problem being that it is hard to get a meat joint small enough for one person.

It really is not a problem. A friend of mine once said that she could not see me going out with a vegetarian; well, mainly due to Şencan's forbearance, it works.

It as therefore with some interest that I saw a headline on the English-language version of the Pravda website: "Vegetarianism proves to be perversion of nature" (warning, link not necessarily safe for work).

Take the following quote:
Furthermore, cosmetologists say that a typical vegetarian has dry and fragile hair, dull eyes and unhealthy complexion. They can hardly stand criticism and have a low boiling point. They raise their voice, swing their arms and splutter when arguing. They are weak even in their logic.
I swear, this is genuine. I'll see if Şencan matches the above when she gets home from work...


No comments: