Tuesday 23 November 2010

Walking plans

I am trying to work out what long-distance path(s) I shall tackle next year. I am mainly concentrating on backpacking trips.

There are various options:
  • Complete one of the National Trails that I have yet to complete (Yorkshire Wolds Way, Hadrian's Way, Cleveland Way, Speyside Way, the Southern Upland Way, half of the West Highland Way and a few odd-and-sods of the Great Glen Way). I do not count the Pennine Bridleway in its currently incomplete state.
  • Walk around the Isle of Wight. I was set to do this earlier this year, but on the morning of departure I developed an injury that prevented me going.
  • Rewalk the South West Coast Path.
  • Rewalk the Pembrokeshire Coast Path.
  • Rewalk the Limestone Way
  • The Leeds and Liverpool Canal
  • London Loop
  • Severn Way
  • Complete St Cuthbert's Way
  • A randomly rural ramble in Scotland. Something I planned an age ago, staying away from the named trails, roads and popular mountains. The aim is to find solitude and test myself, ending up at Cape Wrath and then Durness.
All of these appeal in one way or another. It has been some years since I last walked in Scotland, so it would be nice to get another backpack done in the Scottish hills.

I also have a desire to finish off all of the National Trails - I have done the longer ones, and the Yorkshire Wolds Way, Cleveland Way and Hadrian's Wall would see me complete the English ones. That is really tempting, but would require a little more time than I have available at the moment.

So, which should I choose? It will probably be a case of getting a couple of short trips in the bag to test my kit and get my hiking legs back, and then choosing one to suit the time available. In the meantime, I shall continue salivating over trail guides and maps.

No comments: