Sunday 3 April 2011

Sarah Outen

A little over a year ago I wrote a blog post about Sarah Outen, who had just completed a record-breaking solo row across the Indian Ocean. We met her at the Southampton boat show, where she had just arrived with her tiny-looking boat. It was so small that I would not have dared to row it across the Channel, yet alone an Ocean. Then again, that is what sets Adventurers apart form us mere mortals.

At the time, I wrote:
During our chat I asked her what she wanted to do next. As I asked her the question her eyes flicked out into the Solent. Something tells me she may be voyaging out again sometime.
Well, I was correct. On April the first this amazing lady set off on her 'London 2 London via the world' trip. She is going to be cycling and rowing her way around the world, an endeavour that is going to take the best part of three years. Not only will this involve her cycling across Eurasia and North America, but also rowing the North Pacific and North Atlantic. I find it hard to think of a greater aim.

She is an amazing lady, and I wish her all the best. God speed, Sarah.

No comments: