Friday 20 March 2020

Critical workers

Following on from yesterday's post, the government has published their list of critical workers on the gov.uk website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision

So, how did I do? I think fairly well. I missed off police (annoyingly, as I had them on my written list), and totally missed off prison officers, and the military.

In fact, the list is broader than I expected, with categories like 'essential financial services provision'.

I'd also hope that companies can apply for exemptions for their staff, e.g. if a company is working making ventilators (or components thereof), or scientists working on vaccines and tests, or companies making tests.

All in all, I think it's a good, comprehensive list. I wonder how many people it covers? Five to ten million, at a guess.

No comments: